Friday, September 14, 2012
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Today Sherwin-Williams donated 9 gallons of paint (more than we need), a local waste management company committed to donate a dumpster, and we calculated a total of 702 sponsorship letters sent.
Another praise (unrelated to this project specifically but it relates to the adoption) is we were notified this evening that our family was awarded a $2,000 grant from Bridge of Hope Ministries! (time to start doing some updates on the donation thermometer). DONE! ;)
How can you pray now?
-Home Depot has promised to meet regarding how they will help tomorrow (Wednesday) major needs now are still some decking supplies (rails, spindles and necessary hardware).
-We need some cleaning supplies and paint rollers, trays, brushes, etc.
-Good weather for project day
Thanks, and please help us spread the news! Sure we're trying to raise the money to bring our little girl home but most importantly let's show the world what true "Faith with works" means... Share the link- bothhands.org/walterhouse
Monday, August 13, 2012
1. Material donations
3. Food donations
4. Team safety
6. Prior preparation (hazardous tree removal)
7. A construction size dumpster (for old material and clutter disposal)
8. Good weather
9. Corporate Recognition and sponsorship
10. That we'll show others what true Christianity is about
11. That Christ will be glorified
12. That through this, Nora and her family will be blessed & strengthened and that Eden Grace will be as close as the last set of paperwork.
Thursday, August 9, 2012
We're AMAZED at how God has blessed already and how He continues to provide. If you haven't checked it out yet, PLEASE take just a few minutes to do so! Just click HERE. (Honestly, if you don't, this post won't make much sense).
Here's where we stand:
- A local businessman and dear friend donated $500 towards stamps and getting the sponsorship letters sent!
- Our team sent somewhere between 500-600 sponsorship letters (we don't have the final number as some letters are still going out).
- Many of the needed supplies for Nora's (the Widow) have already been donated. Please pray for the remaining items that we need (mainly lumber, hardware and painting supplies
- Covenant Transport has donated a 15 passenger van and they're paying a driver since we'll have to park a few miles away from Nora's!
- Restaurants are already committing to donate food for the project work day!
- Some dear friends have agreed to donate a Washer/Dryer set that is much needed!
- Ooltewah Nursery has graciously agreed to donate plants to "spruce up" the exterior!
Here's some ways you can help us pray specifically for the project:
- Good weather
- Remaining supplies (as mentioned previously- lumber, hardware, painting supplies)
Michelle and I truly believe (as do our boys- "faith like a child" right??) that this project will be the means by which we raise the final $20,000 needed to bring Eden home. Please pray with us! GOD CAN and WILL!
Humbled by YOUR help & prayers,
Jonathan, Michelle, Jaiden, Levi (and a precious little girl who will thank you one day!)
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Thursday, July 5, 2012
We're headed to downtown Atlanta today at 10 AM for an appointment with USCIS for biometrics (fingerprinting). We trust it will go smoothly and the hardest thing will be Atl traffic- can I get an "oh, me?!"
We're hoping and praying we'll be able to complete our Psych eval by this time next week, the Psychologist has been out on vacation for the last few weeks. This, coupled with our emergency trip to PA for Michelle's ill grandmother(and her subsequent passing), delayed the eval by a few weeks.
Now for something we're really excited about- A Both Hands Project. We've been approved to raise the final $14,000-16,000 that we need through a project in which a team of people (yes, you're included on the team- we need you) will descend on a widow's house on Saturday, Aug 11 to help repair, clean, weed, landscape, paint, pressure wash, organize and so on. The neat part is this- each team member sends a sponsorship letter to their friends and family (letter, envelope & stamps provided). ALL 100% of funds that come in go towards an orphan- in this case our adoption. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?! We're fulfilling both parts of the command found in James 1:27- "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction..." A Both hands project- pray with us about this, won't you?
We'll be sharing more information here as we have opportunity.
Please keep us in prayer.
Saturday, June 16, 2012
When God tells you to do something (in our case- adopt) do it- He'll honor and bless your obedience and faith.
Friday, June 15, 2012
God has been so good to our family! We are now only a few weeks away from final approval from USCIS- the last part of US approval for our adoption. Meanwhile we have 2 steps to complete and then we can send off the International Dossier paperwork (providing the necessary funds are readily available.)
- Psychological Evaluation for Jonathan & Michelle (let the funny comments begin) This will only cost us $800, much less than the $2000 and $3000 we were originally quoted- Praise the Lord! This is being done for us by a lady in NYC who is an adoptive parent herself. She understands the financial burden and desires to help as much as possible, in addition to the cheaper rate, she granted another discount for our special needs adoption.
- Federal fingerprinting- this should take place in early July. (This was paid for already when we submitted the USCIS paperwork).
In an attempt to raise the $800 needed for the evaluation, we're hosting a car wash fundraiser tomorrow, June 16th here in Chattanooga. Because our Psychologist is going out of town for two weeks the end of the month, we need to have the money to her ASAP so we can complete the Eval quickly.
Please pray BOLDLY with us that God will provide this amount by Sunday so we can complete the Eval this week. If we can average $10 a car and get 80 cars in the 5 hour event, this can happen easily!
We've also been approved to receive funds through tax-deductible donations! You can go to Lifesong for Orphans donation page to find out how. Please include the following either on the "Purpose" field when donating online or on the memo line if using check VIA mail: "Walterhouse #2944 Adoption"
If you can come help, help; if you can bring a dirty car, bring a dirty car; if you can give, give; and no matter what you do, pray.
From the bottom of our hearts- THANK YOU! Our prayer is that one day in 2012 our beautiful princess will be in our arms and she'll sign to you: THANK YOU for giving me a forever family!
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
I joke, but in all seriousness the road of adoption can sometimes seem lonely- yeah, your family and friends "have your back" and support you through prayer and encouraging words and even financially when they can, but other than that it can get a little quiet and dark sometime. Thoughts like: is this ever going to happen, what were we thinking, why hasn't this piece of paper been approved yet, (and many more) come to mind. THEN, something encouraging happens...
Saturday the 19th we attended an Adoption Seminar in Knoxville TN VIA an invite from some friends who are also adopting. To describe it in one word....(if you know me, that's impossible so here's a bunch of words- I don't know how many though because I haven't finished typing...and if you're name is Robert Long...Love you bro... you might count each word and then let me know how many it ended up being...) I digress... The Seminar was fabulous, we were able to network with several other families who are adopting and meet representatives from several other organizations as well. We came away with a renewed sense of hope and encouragement. Here's a few thoughts to summarize the day-
"Adoption is not a secondary plan, it's a different plan."
The big 'AHA' moment of the day was this- Adoption opens the door of Spiritual warfare like no other. The reality is Orphans (especially in third-world countries) are at a severe disadvantage, the statistics are staggering of the number of orphans that will likely end up hooked on drugs, involved with sex-trafficking, prostitution etc. Why wouldn't the enemy put up a fight for the life of our precious princess and the other 147 million Orphans?! We are overwhelmed at the thought of how many children will one day face death without any hope or peace. Lord, please help us as YOUR children to do something. What will YOU do?
"We are ALL called to Orphan Care (support an Orphan/Orphanage- James 1:27), the question is: Will you be one to take the extra step to give a homeless child a forever home?"
Many other ideas came through the people that we met and heard present there, we'll be sharing more info as time goes on. For now, here's a few things we are grateful for:
- Completed, Certified Home Study is in the Mail! (Praying it arrives in the next few days)
- Many have already purchased a T-Shirt (or two or three) to help promote Adoption in general and thereby donated some money directly towards our adoption. THANK YOU! If you haven't bought one yet, it's not too late. Please see the link on the right side of this page.
- Pray for: I800A ($750 needed to process upon receipt of Certified Home Study), Meeting with Lifesong for Orphans representative, and success of future fundraisers.
- Donate (Please pray our tax deductible account will be set up quickly, 100% of every dollar will go directly towards the cost of our adoption, no administrative costs.)
- That this adoption will be complete by the end of this year.
The Walterhouse Family
Sunday, May 13, 2012
For any white or gray shirt you purchase, we'll receive $8.99/adult shirt and $5.99/youth shirt. For any black or brown shirt, we'll receive $7.49/adult and $4.99/youth. At an average of $6.87 per purchase going DIRECTLY towards our adoption fees (funds sent directly to our adoption agency), we only need 75 shirts purchased for the next stage in the adoption paperwork. We're well on the way there with 6 shirts having been purchased already. Come on, you can never have enough T-shirts and to think that when you wear it, you've got the awesome feeling of having helped a precious little girl come home to her forever family. We don't need you to do it, SHE DOES.
Go to Adoption Bug RIGHT NOW and buy a shirt...or two. Also, share this with your friends and family. It'd be awesome if we could even hit 100 shirts by Friday, May 18th.
Saturday, May 12, 2012
Monday, May 7, 2012
Friday, May 4, 2012
Thursday, May 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your support & love during this time of waiting! Your texts, calls and emails have been such an encouragement to my heart!
I wanted to share a sweet conversation we had last night -
As we were on our way home from church, we were talking with our boys about bedtime and what they needed to do when we arrived home. After hearing two "Yes Ma'ams", there were a few moments of silence before Jaiden spoke up. He proceeded with the next question that brought both Jonathan & I to tears.
"Mommy, does sister have to sleep on the floor? I know she has the bear we made her. We should have sent my old bed to her so she had a place to sleep."
Thank you Lord for giving them compassionate hearts for others! I am SO thankful for our boys and their tender hearts and that their daddy is an awesome example of a compassionate heart!
Thank you Lord for pricking me heart and reminding me that life isnt all about me and what I want!!